I have a long and abiding interest in cupcakes. I love their versatility and convenience – they’re relatively easy to transport and good for giving as gifts or packing as a treat for work. I also love to experiment with them….whether it’s to try out a new kind of icing, or going all out with the topping and having a candy sampler.
I recently experimented with this rocky road cupcake recipe and it definitely satisfied my sweet (sweeeeet) tooth. Actually the sweetness was a little too much for me….after one or two of the cupcakes, I felt like I was drifting in a haze of sugar induced semi-consciousness. I think next time I would consider using a cream cheese instead of buttercream icing which will hopefully offset the sweetness of the chocolate topping. At any rate, I thought the end result looked quite nice and it tasted delicious, although it was (did I mention?) very sweet.
1 cup water
1 cup brown sugar
100g milk chocolate
125g softened butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
185g softened butter
2 cups icing sugar
About 1 cup mini marshmallows
2 bars Cherry ripe chocolate
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celscius and lightly oil or line muffin pans.
- Combine the milk chocolate and water over low heat. Set aside and cool to room temperature.
- Beat the sugar and butter until pale and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the self raising flour, cocoa and plain flour together. Add gradually into the mixture and stir until just combined.
- Stir in the melted chocolate and spoon into the prepared muffin pans.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the center bounces back when lightly tapped. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing, beat 185g butter until light and creamy. Gradually sift in the icing sugar and add vanilla essence. Refridgerate until needed.
- Chop the Cherry Ripe into small cubes.
- Pipe the buttercream onto the cooled cupcakes and top with the chopped Cherry Ripe and mini marshmallows. Sprinkle chocolate sauce on top of the cupcakes.